Saturday, September 12, 2009

From College Candy: Do It Yourself Tuesdays: High-waisted

Like most of you, I am a (recently graduated but not willing to accept it) college student who would rather dish out money for fashion than food. But sometimes, like in a recession…or when I’m really hungry, that doesn’t work out so well. A girl’s gotta eat (and look fabulous), right?

Which is why I was having some serious issues lately. You see, I am in love with the whole high-waisted skirt look that I see on celebs like Lauren Conrad and Amanda Bynes. It’s slimming and hot and I loooove it. But I can’t justify spending a good chunk of change on a skirt that will be out of style in 6 months when I have 10 perfectly fine skirts lining my closet.

So I decided to figure out a way to turn what I got into what I want. Turns out, it’s not that hard to make your own high-waisted skirt. Even for crafty rejects like myself.

1. Grab an old, longer skirt that you don’t wear anymore because it makes you look like a mom. Put it on.

2. Find a fun belt and cinch the skirt at your natural waistline.

3. Grab hold of the bottom of one side of the skirt and twist it up and under the belt on the same side.

diy high waisted

4. Wrap the twisted end of the skirt around the belt so that it lies flat.

5. Use a safety pin and secure the bottom, to prevent any unsightly moments (think Paris or Britney..or Lindsay). Make sure to pin it underneath so the safety pin is hidden.

6. Repeat on the other side of the skirt and the back for a more bubble-shaped skirt. Otherwise, leave it as it is.

There you go: a trendy, leggy, high-waisted skirt. Recycling has never looked so hot.



Original Article Here:Do It Yourself Tuesdays: High-waisted Skirts

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it! Definitely heading to the thrift store and checking out some skirts I can use to make this work :)