Saturday, December 16, 2006

When I Grow Up

I want to be like Nan Kemper! Who is Nan Kemper you ask? Well she was an American fashion icon. Not a model or designer but a possessor of all things fashion, a clotheshorse if you will. Her closet, which was actually several converted bedrooms, was filled with stacks of 362 sweaters and 354 jackets; shelves for feathered fedoras, brimmed straws and other hats; and larger displays for Saint Laurents, Valentinos, Balmains and Gaultiers, some 3,000 garments and accessories in all. Apparently I not only need to work on being the Imelda Marcos of bags I need to work on being the next Nan Kemper of fashion. Too bad my body isn't a natural dress form. At 5'9 and 110 pounds Ms. Kemper was truly something else and she definately had the money to spend, coming from money and marrying money. So with all these obstacles to overcome I think I have a long road in front of me but that doesn't mean that I can't pay homage to the inspiration for my madness. Selections from her wardrobe will be on display at the Metropolitan Museum Costume Institue. Time for a field trip!!

No comments: